Friday, October 29, 2010

TXTing

I used to text message quite a bit. In high school I once sent over 15,000 text messages in a billing period. Who do I have to say that much to?

Anyways. First you should know that I grew up in the age of the internet. I am the first of the "digital natives". Which apparently means that I am the first who has been in school where the internet has been a main source of information.

Though, if I remember correctly, my father and I had dial-up until I was... oh... 8? So until 1999? Which is probably when broadband came out anyways.

Anyways so I am a part of the generation that created "chat speak". Though the younger groups seem to think they invented it... which is false, since anything they think they've created, we used before.

Chat speak used to be cool.

When you were chatting... on the internet... on (I can't believe this) AIM. (Which was the big thing in middle school.)

Now for some reason people seem to think it's okay to use in their daily lives.

If I get a message from you that reads like this:

lyk i need u 4 1 minute. c u dere?

I will ignore it.

Despite the fact that I can read it, I shouldn't have to. If you were "LYK" dying then maybe.

Chat speak is one thing, but it's not English, and incorporating it into English is practically a sin.

Speak English!

Don't say "LOL!" instead of laughing!

WHO DOES THAT??

If I was talking to someone and they said "LOL" instead of laughing I would probably be so angry I would punch them in the face... or maybe go all Christian Bale on them.

So the moral of this story is:

If you're TXTing, it's fine, but if you ever speak to me in chat speak again, I will hit you... and it will not be a nice, soft warning hit. It will be a full on "break your nose" hit.

Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

No comments:

Post a Comment