Sunday, October 17, 2010

An Ode to Weird Neighbors

When I moved into this house five or six years ago (I can't remember, my life runs in school years... so at the beginning of 8th grade... I graduated in 2009, and I didn't skip or miss any years. Figure it out! Go!) I never paid much attention to the house two houses down. (Called "Weird Neighbors" on my little maps.)

When we first moved in (we being my father and I) there was a family living in the weird neighbor house. Now to my memory there is a three car tandem in that house, yet there was always at least two shiny black sedans out front. And the only living human I ever saw come or go was a little Indian man who went running at 5 am every morning.

People came and went from that house all the time, but no matter how much you watched you would never see anyone getting in or out of the cars... now I was fairly convinced that there were either A) oompa loompas or B) someone akin to Susan Storm (if you're not familiar with the Fantastic 4 universe, she's the pretty lady that men don't think should be invisible).

Then one day... something miraculous happened.

A man running away from the police came sprinting through our cul-de-sac... and what should happen? But all of us gathered like Petunia Dursley to our windows, watching with fascination as cop cars SWARMED into the little area that Chinese delivery drivers can't even find... several weeks later the house was up for sale.


So the Indians moved out... and sold their house to people that were really not very abnormal at all. I mean being as I'm reclusive and I don't like socializing with other people because I prefer to live like Gollum, holed up in my house with my "precious" (my computer). Boy there are a lot of pop culture references in this post, huh? Anyways they moved in for all of a year I think. It wasn't long before they moved out.


So the most entertaining of these families moved in right after the veterans. We (being the creepy Petunia neighbors) watched with interest as they moved in. Turns out there was a rather strange bunch of people moving in... stranger than the others.

A fat man with one arm.

A skinny white woman (with both her arms).

A boy that looked like a cross between the two (with both his arms).

A girl around my age that looked more like the fat man. (She also had both her arms.)

And a number of... ruffians that came and went.

We had a theory that they were running a half-way house. They were pretty friendly. They would open their garage door at the beginning and sit out on the driveway together and laugh and frolic. (Or frolic as much as a one armed man can.) They weren't that bad. And like baby deer we slowly began to warm up to them.

Then that stopped. Suddenly there were too many cars in their drive way for them to do that. And slowly the garage door began to stay closed more often. Then the windows stayed closed more often, then the front door was no longer kept open...

About ten cars come and go from there, and suddenly I'm back where I started... wondering how this one armed fat man can make himself move fast enough to get out of the mixture of cars and into the house without being seen... I'm back to my original theory. They've either become oompa loompas or someone has implanted them with the ability to become invisible.

Of course these comings and goings suddenly became more unusual when my neighbors sold their house... and a SWAT team member moved in...


Now this cop I have not yet seen. His house is just as strange now as the Weird Neighbors. They're always buttoned up... and these two men come and go every once in a while. But I digress. Weird Neighbors began to come and go at weird hours of the night. Last weekend they had a moving truck backed into their drive way for no reason, the house isn't even for sale.

Now there are five cars crammed into the driveway that are constantly moving, sometimes it's entertaining to watch though, because there are some people in this world that can't drive and they try to back over the trees in their front yard...

Then this morning at approximately 1:15 AM (central standard time) it was practically Grand Central Station! Cars were driving in and out, speeding off out of the cul-de-sac.

I will never understand neighbors. I'm sure people must think I'm pretty weird. I'm a college student that only comes home on the weekends and otherwise the house is empty and dark... I can only imagine what SWAT Guy puts on his blog about me...

Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

No comments:

Post a Comment